Monday, November 29, 2010

An Ode to Sleep

Ah, sleep. I could write volumes on the many aspects of how it has affected my life.

I could discuss how I miss it, especially now having two kids with irregular sleeping habits. I don't think I have ever felt "caught up" on my sleep since I turned 12.
I remember how I used to have a Sunday nap ritual; snuggled in my bed, regardless of the season, and slumbering in my down comforter until Sunday dinner would wake me.

I love sleeping in Royal's arms, he's so comfy and I feel super protected.
Nowadays sleep is something that I plan into my day. Not just for myself, but for naptime (at least for Grant as Lucy has refused to nap anymore.) And oh the joy of having 2 kids asleep at the same time. I almost don't know what to do once it happens.

But the two items I wanted to share are these:
1) Lucy's Magical Adventures in Sleeping. This is my daughter. She is a wild sleeper.
When I was little my mom told me I curled into a ball like a kitten when I slept. This is NOT Lucy. She randomly flails about in her sleep like an epileptic octopus. She also migrates. It is common when we check on her to find her OUT of her bed. Once I found her wedged between the two sidebars that are 2 1/2 feet apart. She doesn't seem to be too affected by it as she can sleep through the movement and the relocation each night. What a sweetie.

2) Putting a baby to sleep. Have you ever noticed how rewarding it is to get a baby to sleep? That whole expression of "sleeping like a baby" is something I truly wish I could achieve.
When you have the ability to hold and rock a sweet little thing to sleep, and to see the peace in their face; its inspiring. It's as if they are saying, "I Trust You." I love to smell their little hair and kiss their soft foreheads and let them touch my cheek. I try to take a couple selfish holds and hugs from my sleeping babies, just to feel a bit of heaven. It will always be one of my favorite things of motherhood.

No comments: