Friday, October 26, 2012

Another Step

Last month we closed on our house in Lehi, which meant. . . signing all those papers with dozens of paragraphs, that you just hope are legitimate but don't really have the interest in reading, especially while sitting at a fancy glass table in the attorney's office while your kids watch Netflix on your phone and drip sucker juice on said fancy glass table.
This was truly a great thing, a miraculous thing for many reasons.  We know that financially it is going to affect us a bit, but I feel so grateful that we no longer need to pay attention to a vacant home that is many miles away.  We were truly blessed that we were able to sell it under all the various conditions.  Nonetheless, I still felt a bit of remorse over it all.  I was reminded of a beautiful post that my friend Sara had made months ago, who lived the same scene we had.  When I read it, it was like she was speaking from my mind, so I wanted to share my version of her post. .

Because that home was:


  • the first place that was 100% Royal + Me
  • where we brought home 2 beautiful babies
  • where I had a kitchen window to watch my kids outside while I did dishes. . .I always wanted a kitchen window
  • Where I learned how to be a mom
  • where I could go outside and have dozens of friends to play with, and parks just out my door, and moms to chat with, and places for family walks
  • Where we decided on what to invest into, and what not to. . since it was OUR home
  • where I got to decorate, or at least attempt to
  • That had the greatest little window seat that my kids were in at least 10 times a day
  • where we would walk to church every week, no matter the weather  (except that one day it was SUPER icy)
  • where we would sit on the porch and watch cars go by, or eat popsicles, or watch the rain race down the middle of the road
  • where our home evolved from camp chairs and leftover seminary couches, to a (donated) matching couch set
  • Where we had our little salsa garden, and got to share our "harvest" with our friends
  • where we had 4 Christmases, Lucy and Grant's firsts
  • where I had the world's best pantry. . I don't know if I will ever find a better pantry
  • Where we served in church callings, and hosted dozens of meetings
  • Where we grew and grew as a family. . and learned how to be a family



The day we closed, we had one last item to attend to, and I realized that every time we had been before I was always reminiscent.  But that day, I knew I was ready to leave because as we walked out, it was no longer "our" house.  At that time, it was just walls and rooms and carpet.  I had decided to take the memories with me.

5 comments:

Sparrow said...

It's still your house at our house. :) And you should tell Lucy Madeline randomly changed her baby Dolly's name to Lucy
last week. Not that we miss you or anything.

Scarlett said...

This is a great place to live. Miss you guys! Seriously not the same without you!

Ryan & Michelle said...

Beautiful post! It's true, it's just a house, but you have the memories that made it a home. I hope you guys are doing well!! We miss you and hopefully we will see you guys soon, Christmas? Congrats on Mille - so sweet!! Love you!!

Ryan & Michelle said...

What a sweet post! It's true, it's just a house, but you have the memories that made it a home.
We sure love you guys - it's been awhile since we've talked and you guys have had some big changes. We hope the new job is going well and congrats on sweet Mille!!!
Maybe we can get together over Christmas?? Love you guys!!

Unknown said...

Oh Danelle! I miss you. Where are you living now? I think we should try and get together sometime. I would ABSOLUTLEY love that. I've been a slacker on my blog for the last, ummm, 3 years. But I've made a goal to be better at it. It's the best way for me to not let my kids life slip away from me. My blog address is fantasticadamson4.blogspot.com
Not sure if you already had it, but there it is. Email me and we can catch up if we can ever get together!! Love ya girl!
Chels