Thursday, March 3, 2011

Creativity Burnout

Being a mom has really shown me a new way of living in real life. To maintain sanity, sometimes you have to be a little creative. Now to my credit, I have been a school teacher, so I know how to make mundane things seem interesting. This skill has come in very helpful as a mom. For example:

Not Creative: Lucy, stop!
Creative: Lucy, I can tell you are going to be a good soccer player, but please don't kick your brother's head.

Not Creative: What the. . gross!
Creative: Grant, thanks for helping us get our money's worth out of these diapers by filling them to maximum capacity.

Not Creative: Lucy, get your clothes on, NOW!
Creative: Lucy, let's use some of that energy and you can bunny hop right into your pants here.

Not Creative: C'mon, buddy!
Creative: Grant, it sure is fun to find your Cheerio landmines on the ground- that explosive crunch keeps me on my toes!

If you have ever read the book "Just Go to Bed" by Mercer Mayer, I think he portrays it very well. Here the dad is trying to be patient and creative with his little Critter, but by the end he's having a bit of creativity burnout.

This is why I think moms have a creativity outlet of their own. Whether its scrap booking, crafting, cooking, blogging, running, preschool, or whatever else, they just need something to refuel their creative juices after being squeezed dry during the hours. So whatever it may be for you- carry on faithful soldier- and make it a good one!

3 comments:

Lacking Productivity said...

We just bought that book this past weekend. Paul loved it growing up, so when he saw it for the first time in years, he just had to have it. Funny you would mention it less than a week later.

amy ayres said...

I love your creativity, you should write a parenting book!

Kalli said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Mercer Mayer! He captures the truth of childhood so well!!! Me Too! and I was So Mad are 2 of my favs...along with Just Go To Bed.